A lot of people think that you have to give up your favorite comfort foods to maintain a healthy weight.
I’ll be the first to tell you, I LOVE PIZZA! So, I would never give it up but instead, I enjoy it whenever I want. I just use a healthier recipe. It’s that simple!
The pizza crust is typically the most unhealthy part of the pizza. You can always top it with you favorite healthy toppings. So, here’s my go-to recipe for a healthier pizza crust. read more – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/danette-may/crispy-clean-cauliflower-_b_10890026.html?utm_hp_ref=pizza
1 small-medium head of cauliflower or 3 cups of cauliflower florets, stems removed.
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup organic, shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup organic, shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Wash and dry cauliflower. Pat dry to remove extra liquid. Cut the cauliflower into florets (the top part) and remove the majority of the stem.
2. Pulse in a food processor for approximately 30 seconds until you create something resembling cauliflower snow. This will serve as your “flour” for the recipe. It should yield from 2-3 cups of “snow.”
3. Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 4 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. If you’re using a pizza stone, place the stone in the oven so that it can heat to temperature before you will put the crust on it.
5. Once your cauliflower has cooled (it will be a few minutes), place it in a tea towel and wring it out to remove excess water. Watch out – there will be a lot of water! You will want to do this over the sink!
6. In a bowl, combine cauliflower, spices, and cheese. Add egg and combine to a “dough ball” using your hands.
7. Place dough onto a piece of parchment paper sprayed with olive oil. Begin forming the dough into a round pizza shape. Dough should be approximately 1/2 inch thick with no thin spots or overly thick spots.
8. Take parchment paper and dough and move to pizza stone or pizza pan. Bake in oven for about 8-10 minutes until cauliflower is a light golden brown.
9. Remove pan and crust from oven and add any toppings you would like.
10. Once the toppings are on your pizza, bake it in the oven for about 5-7 more minutes until cheese begins to bubble.